Tel: (+49) 6131 39-26842
Michael Scharkow is Professor of Computational Communication Science at the Department of Communication.
Prior to joining the department, he was Professor of Communication at Zeppelin University, Friedrichshafen (2017 - 2019), research associate at the University of Hohenheim (2010 - 2017), the University of Münster (2012 - 2014) and the Berlin University of the Arts (2006 - 2009). He received his PhD in 2011 from the Berlin University of the Arts with a dissertation on automatic content analysis and machine learning. He obtained his MA in Communication, Political Science and Sociology from FU Berlin in 2006.
From 2018 to 2022, he served as associate editor for the Journal of Communication. He has previously served as the vice chair of the DGPuK methods division.
Awards and prizes
- Top Faculty Paper Award at the 2019 ICA conference, Washington, DC, ICA Mass Communication Division.
- Communication Methods and Measures Article of the Year 2016, AEJMC Communication Theory and Methodology Division.
- Top Faculty Paper Award at the 2017 ICA conference, San Diego, ICA Communication and Technology Division.
- Top Faculty Paper Award at the 2017 ICA conference, San Diego, ICA Mass Communication Division.
- Best Submission Award at the annual division meeting, Amsterdam, 2016, DGPuK Methods Division.
- Best Submission Award at the annual division meeting, Munich, 2014, DGPuK Methods Division.
- Top Faculty Paper Award at the 2014 ICA conference, Seattle, ICA Game Studies Division Division.
- Journal Article of the Year 2012, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Publizistik und Kommunikationswissenschaft (DGPuK).
Associate editor for the Journal of Communication (2018-2022).
Member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Communication, Communication Measures and Methods, Computational Communication Research and Media Psychology.
Ad-hoc reviewer for the Journal of Communication, Human Communication Research, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Science Advances, Communication Measures and Methods, International Journal of Public Opinion Research, American Journal of Political Science, Media Psychology, Social Media and Society, Journal of Media Psychology, Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, Environmental Communication, Mobile Media & Communication, Political Psychology, Journal of Elections, Public Opinion & Parties, Journalism Studies, European Union Politics, Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Studies in Communication | Media and Medien & Kommunikationswissenschaft.